Saturday, August 21, 2010

Watching A Baby Story today and the woman took castor oil......?

and then went into labor later that night. Her midwife suggested the castor oil, at least thats how they portrayed it. I thought castor oil had pretty much been debunked at helping you go into labor, am I wrong?Watching A Baby Story today and the woman took castor oil......?
No it works, the question is whether it increases the risk of the baby passing meconium in the wombWatching A Baby Story today and the woman took castor oil......?
It's like the gender myths--you have a 50/50 shot of being lucky.





Some women take castor oil (yuck) and their body just naturally goes into labor. Of course they think it's the castor oil, but logic and research has proven that castor oil can make the situation worse.
My mother in law swore by it but I went 4 days past my due date and had my son naturally without having to poop the whole time just to get some contractions that might and might not bring on labor. Did that make sense? I don't think I would ever take it just because going to the bathroom that much would dehydrate you and I would imagine you need your fluids for labor. Right? I think babies come when they are ready.
I'm pretty sure there's got to be a bit of a placebo effect involved.





That, and the women it seems to ';work'; for are undoubtedly pretty good to go when they do take it.





What mystifies _me_ is why it's always castor oil, about the most disgusting thing I can think of drinking as far as things you're meant to drink go. I've never tried it, but it does not sound pleasant.





Years ago I had to take something called -- no kidding -- ';Evac-U-Kwik'; for a test I don't even remember. It was, er, effective. I had no idea anybody, let alone little me, could have so much crap in them. From the awful stories posted here, I get the feeling that castor oil has at least a comparable effect. Anyway, the Evac-U-Kwik (real name, I swear) involved (1) a pill, (2) a suppository, and (3) a small beverage, but it was a quite decent fruit drink.





And the very few times I've taken a pill laxative, I've had awful cramps. So...





So, my disgusting point here is that the thing that makes it most old-wifey to me is that it involves unnecessary suffering. You can clear out your bowels without drinking a disgusting oil; you can cramp with just a pill. But castor oil involves doing something unpleasant, and ergo there's a ';reward'; for ';hard work'; -- a bit of a hallmark of a lot of folklore.





Also mystifying is why practitioners would still recommend it given the meconium risk (though exactly how dangerous meconium is is another story), but it sure smells like ';I have to do SOMETHING'; to me. There was a post here recently from somebody mystified because their doctor had prescribed them one tablet of Ambien, saying they'd wake up and be in labour, but, gosh, nothing happened! All I could figure was that she seemed extremely close, and looked to be in need of a placebo, and the doctor felt in need of, well, his doing something...
I have a couple of friends that tried it but it didn't help. Some people swear by it. I think It might just be timing, but it's worth a try :)
I think it was more of the time for her. Good timing I was 41 weeks 3 cent. and lost my mucus plug 10 days prior I drank 2 bottles and nothing......the next night I drank another nothing....And then I was induced at 42 weeks. I don't think it works I know several people who tried it and it didn't work so I think it was good timing. You will get contractions when you drink it but they don't do anything her dr. could of seen her doing the contractions and induced it farther.
Yeah, Castor Oil pretty much makes you go to the restroom and that is it. They say Rasberry Tea not the thin Lipton kind will bring on contractions also having an orgasm will bring on the contractions as well as nipple stimulation.
It worked for my wife she took it mixed with fresh orange 9 hours later my daughter was born.
Either way it makes you (go) so I guess it depends on if you need to or not.
I did this the nite before My due date.... and due to the fact that castor oil makes you GO! to the bathroom... that brought on some pains and I did go into labor.. But it DOES NOT work for everyone
oh my gosh i know excactly what you mean i just watched that one also i cant belive they would show that on tv because from what i knew most Doctors advise against it !
Most old wives tales have been debunked, including having sex and walking. It might havebeen the state of mind or something. Walking just gets your mind off everything so you don't feel like you're just waiting for labor to start so it seems to jumpstart labor when in reality it really doesn't. It just distracts you and walking throughout the pregnancy is supposed to help prepare you for labor, make it a little easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment