Friday, July 30, 2010

I changed the oil on a cold engine today. BAD?

Today when I changed the oil in my 305 chevy, I forgot to warm up the engine right before hand. However the truck was running about 3 hours prior and the oil was luke-warm. Should I run the engine and change the oil all over again? Or should I just let it go this time and change it again on schedule?


PS the truck has 300K miles on it.I changed the oil on a cold engine today. BAD?
Not bad at all - and a heck of a lot better than not changing it at all. Obviously, you will get a cleaner drain out if the oil is at operating temperature - but the little bit of oil that clings to the internals when the oil is cold is not a big issue when it's diluted into five quarts of new oil.I changed the oil on a cold engine today. BAD?
yes its better to run the engine for a period of time so it gives the


oil enough time to get warm,also you might want to consider using


a can of engine flush,it gets all the sludge out of your engine but


DO NOT drive your truck with the engine flush in the engine,it will


damage your engine.good luck.
The only reason to warm engine, is that it makes the oil flow out of the engine faster. You're fine don't even give it a second thought.
There is no need to run the engine before changing the oil unless the oil has not been changed in a coon's age and is as thick as sorghum molasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment